Puppy & Kitten Wellness Care
Here at Ruckersville Animal Hospital, we recommend monthly physical examinations on all puppies and kittens from the age of 8 - 16 weeks. The information gathered during your pet's monthly wellness visits becomes part of their medical history and can be critical if any emergency or sudden illness arises. It is especially important for growing puppies and kittens to ensure there are no abnormalities or other health concerns which could cause issues later in their life.
As part of your pet's monthly physical exam, we will perform the following services:
- Check for significant weight loss or weight gain, which can be an early warning sign of disease. Obesity can be a common problem for growing pets and we will assess your pet's diet and nutritional needs.
- Examine eyes for any abnormalities.
- Examine ears for ear mites, infection or inflammation.
- Evaluate nose and nasal passages for signs of upper respiratory disease.
- Check for oral abnormalities such as extra teeth or retained deciduous (baby) teeth. We evaluate your pet's teeth and check the color and condition of the gums.
- Palpate lymph nodes to check for inflammation or tumors.
- Listen to the chest for heart murmurs, irregular heartbeat and abnormal lung sounds.
- Palpate the abdomen for abnormal masses or pain.
- Assess the condition of all joints, legs, hips, and spine.
- Assess the hair and coat. It should appear healthy and well groomed. Dull, dry, brittle hair or hair loss may indicate an underlying illness. We will also check your pet's skin for infection or signs of fleas, ticks or mites.